Group Captain P C “Pick” Pickard (centre), Commander of No. 140 Wing, No. 2 Group, flanked by Wing Commander I G E “Daddy” Dale, Commanding Officer of No. 21 Squadron RAF (to Pickard’s right), and Wing Commander A G “Willie” Wilson, Commanding Officer of No. 487 Squadron RNZAF, visit No. 464 Squadron RAAF at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire, prior to a daylight raid against flying-bomb sites in the Pas-de-Calais. No. 464’s De Havilland Mosquito FB Mark VIs have been loaded with 250-lb MC bombs for the operation: HX913 ‘SB-N’ can be seen in the background.
De Havilland Mosquito Mk II of No. 157 Squadron refuelling at Hunsdon, 16 June 1943
Mosquito NF Mark XIII, HK382 RO-T, of No. 29 Squadron RAF, in a dispersal at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire.
Hurricane Mark IIC, BD867 QO-Y, of No. 3 Squadron RAF on the ground at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire. Note the exhaust shields above the exhaust outlets, which were fitted to the squadron’s aircraft during night fighter operations.
Mosquito NF Mark XIII, HK382 RO-T, of No. 29 Squadron RAF, at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire. This view shows the thimble nose radome in which AI Mark VIII centimetric radar is fitted.
Pilots of No. 611 Squadron RAF being debriefed by their Intelligence Officer, Flying Officer “Spy” Tizzard (second from left), in front of one of the Squadron’s North American Mustang Mark IVs at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire, after returning from their mission escorting aircraft of Bomber Command on the daylight raid to Berchtesgarden. The Squadron Commander, Squadron Leader D H Seaton, stands fifth from the right. (1945)
Armourers wheeling trolleys of 500-lb MC bombs to De Havilland Mosquito FB Mark VIs of No. 464 Squadron RAAF at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire. The further aircraft, MM412 ‘SB-F’, survived the war to be sold to the Yugoslav Air Force in 1952
Armourers prepare to load four 500-lb MC bombs into the bomb-bay of De Havilland Mosquito FB Mark VI, MM403 ‘SB-V’, of No. 464 Squadron RAAF at Hunsdon, Hertfordshire.
Section of fuselage from a German Heinkel 111 aircraft which was shot down over Hunsdon, Hertfordshire, on 30 August 1940. It was salvaged by 334 Searchlight Battery, Royal Artillery. This plane was evidently shot down during an attack on Radlett aerodrome – one of which (from VII/KG53) crashed in flames near Hunsdon rectory. Three of the five crew survived