Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group
RAF Hunsdon & RAF Sawbridgeworth
   Home            Then and now
 Then & Now

The airfield main gate opposite the Station Headquarters, now known as the Old Rectory. The tree with the 'Give Jerry Hell' sign is still there, although trimmed down.
Seen standing to attention are W/Cdr Peter Wycham-Barnes, Air Marshal W H Bottomly, AVM Basil Embry and General Gardner (USAAF)
The parachute store, one of the few remaining buildings at Hunsdon. The front porch has now gone, along with the airmens bicycles.
. On the 5th May 1943 the AOC of 11 Group, AVM H W 'Dingbat' Saunders, presented the 85 Squadron crest to W/Cdr John 'Cats Eyes' Cunningham while Station Commander W/Cdr H M Kerr looked on.
85 Squadron march past 1943. The hangar, trees and airmen are long gone. The parachute store can be seen on the right of the picture.
29 Squadron Mosquito landing at Hunsdon 1944. The 150' wide runway has now been reduced to about 10'.
All images and text © Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group 2004-2015
Mustang, Mosquito, and G/C P. Pickard images were sourced through the public domain.
RAF Hunsdon aerial photo Crown Copyright (RAF Museum)
Website compiled and maintained by Jim Cosgrove on behalf of the Hertfordshire Airfields Memorial Group. Additional material by Denis Sharp.